Leandro Trossard’s second-half strike supplied a significant winner for Brighton to maneuver three points clear of the relegation zone with a 2-1 victory at Southampton.
Trossard completed off a flowing workforce transfer from the guests, firing Danny Welbeck’s deft contact excessive past Fraser Forster, 11 minutes after half-time to finish a run of 5 video games with out victory.
It seemed just like the Seagulls would once more rue their recreation administration after Lewis Dunk’s booming header from a nook for the opener (16) was cancelled out by one other end from Che Adams (27), his third in three video games.
But the Belgium worldwide’s winner, after Pascal Gross had handed up a high quality likelihood to revive the guests’ lead, will present a critical reduction for the guests, who not solely rise three points above 18th-placed Fulham but additionally leapfrog Newcastle into sixteenth.
Southampton: Forster (6), Walker-Peters (5), Vestergaard (5), Bednarek (6), Bertrand (6), Ward-Prowse (6), Diallo (5), Minamino (6), Armstrong (5), Tella (5), Adams (7).
Subs: Redmond (5), Djenepo (5), N’Lundulu (n/a).
Brighton: Sanchez (7), White (7), Dunk (7), Burn (7), Veltman (6), Bissouma (7), Gross (6), Lallana (8), Trossard (7), Maupay (6), Welbeck (8).
Subs: Zeqiri (7), Propper (6), Moder (n/a).
Man of the match: Danny Welbeck.
Trossard finds a end to ease Brighton worries
A recreation between two of the shape desk’s worst sides by no means promised to be a basic however supplied alternatives from the off at St Mary’s, the place Stuart Armstrong fired straight at Robert Sanchez when effectively positioned early on.
Brighton’s foothold took some time to emerge however as soon as it did, they took immediate benefit. Neal Maupay discovered house from Welbeck’s deft backheel to pressure Forster into his first save of the afternoon, earlier than leaving him little likelihood from the ensuing nook as Dunk towered above Ryan Bertrand to go residence.
No sides have given up extra points from successful positions than Brighton and Southampton, so an equaliser from Adams 11 minutes later got here as no nice shock, latching onto Bertrand’s flick to volley residence and proceed his goalscoring resurgence.
But earlier than the break, they need to have made amends. More Welbeck class launched Dan Burn inside and allowed him house to search out Gross in acres of house, just for the German to blast straight at Forster when one-on-one.
A change on the break noticed Burn changed by Andi Zeqiri and a change to a five-man midfield, which paid dividends barely 10 minutes into the half when Lallana picked up the ball on the half-turn and fed Welbeck. His one-touch ball into Trossard was inch-perfect, and the Belgian did the rest.
- Southampton made 5 adjustments from Wednesday’s defeat at Manchester City, with Che Adams their solely alteration from final Saturday’s win at Sheffield United.
- Danny Welbeck changed Alexis Mac Allister in Brighton’s line-up from their defeat by Leicester.
Lightning would have struck twice had Adams not been denied by a sprawling Sanchez minutes later when he ought to have levelled.
From then Brighton did be taught their lesson, proscribing the hosts to half-chances within the closing half-hour and incomes a most welcome of victories to ease their relegation worries, and go away them solely 4 points behind Southampton within the desk.
What the managers stated…
Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl: “It’s very disappointing what we showed today, especially in the second half. In the first half, there was also a little bit of a feeling that the opponent wanted it more.
“And then the aim conceded we’re in regular form. Everybody’s of their place. This can’t occur. We have been defending far too sloppily in that second.”
Brighton manager Graham Potter: “We needed to change at half-time as a result of of the harm, after which that compelled a change of form.
“We were just trying to organise that and make sure we’re we learn a little bit from what we did first half, in terms of just picking up second balls better, making sure we stay centrally compact. I thought we did that quite well. And then it’s just about the players quality in terms of how they find the spaces.
“When you have solely acquired one aim separating the 2 groups, there’s at all times nerves, there’s at all times stress. But credit score to the gamers. They managed that state of affairs rather well.”
Man of the match – Danny Welbeck
Welbeck rolled again the years at St Mary’s with a quantity of deft touches and flicks in and across the Southampton field, most tellingly with an ideal cross, tougher than it seemed, for his or her successful aim.
On days like this, you marvel the place he could be nonetheless had he not discovered life so powerful by means of accidents in recent times, as a result of he seemed a category above the Southampton defenders at instances.
- Brighton have overwhelmed Southampton at St. Mary’s for the primary time since November 2009 in League One (P5 W0 D4 L1 coming into at this time); Brighton’s Adam Lallana began for Southampton that day.
- Southampton have misplaced 10 of their final 12 video games within the Premier League (W1 D1) – their earlier 10 defeats within the competitors have been unfold throughout 38 matches.
- Brighton scored twice in a Premier League recreation for the primary time since a 3-3 draw with Wolves of their first recreation of 2021, with this their eleventh recreation since.
- Southampton have misplaced three consecutive residence matches towards sides beginning the day within the backside half of the Premier League desk for the primary time since November 2000 underneath Glenn Hoddle.
- Lewis Dunk has now scored 20 league targets for Brighton (excluding play-offs), with 15 of these being transformed by way of headers.
- Brighton’s Pascal Gross has turn out to be the fourth German to document 20 assists within the Premier League, after Mesut Ozil (54), Leroy Sané (28) and Dietmar Hamann (22); 11 of his 20 assists have been for headed targets.
- Southampton’s Che Adams has scored in three consecutive appearances for the primary time within the Premier League, whereas that is his longest scoring streak in league competitors since February 2019 (six for Birmingham).
Southampton journey to Bournemouth within the FA Cup quarter-finals subsequent Saturday; kick-off at 12.15pm.
Brighton are on Sky Sports subsequent weekend in a relegation six-pointer with Newcastle on the Amex Stadium, stay from 7.30pm; kick-off at 8pm.